burning oil or???

Reaction score
2011 4 cylinder Forester 142,000 miles. I am pretty religious about taking it to the dealership for oil changes and doing the repairs and service they recommend. They replaced the cats (had gone bad) at about 60K, covered under warranty. The brakes have been replaced once or twice. This spring when I was at the dealership for an oil change the tech came out and said my vehicle had a bad oil leak that had to be repaired. I can't remember which parts were faulty, but they had to take apart the entire engine, they kept my Forester for 2 weeks and it cost me over $3,000. Prior to this repair I never, ever saw oil spots where I had parked. I also never ran out of oil before it was due to be changed, even if I went over a little bit. I did sometimes detect a burning odor from the engine after getting out of the vehicle.

Since this big repair I've run out of oil at least 2,000 miles before the next oil change is due. The oil light doesn't come on at all.

What is going on? Prior to this I never had oil problem. Did they make up a problem to get money out of me for that big repair? Did they mess up a repair?

Might have been a mistake on their part.
Did they make up a problem to get money out of me for that big repair? Did they mess up a repair?

It's a possibility and there are some auto-shops out there that deal corruptly. But I cannot be sure.

Also, before taking your vehicle to any auto-shop...check the customers reviews and satisfaction history.

This will give you a crucial fore-sight in the companies work and help you make the best decision possible.

Ask a Question