Brand new 2020 Forester/ Oil Question

Reaction score
After our MB ML350 engine died after 289k miles, we just took delivery of a 2020 Forester Touring. Hope to get 289k out of it as well!

When accepting the vehicle, the dealer rep told me the oil needs to be changed every 6000 miles. Two questions for Forester experts:

1. Is this true? Our Benz cars go for 13,000 miles

2. What's the best oil for when I start changing the oil myself? Btw I have a Mitivac oil changing pump.

Nice vehicle...looks easy to maintain

After our MB ML350 engine died after 289k miles, we just took delivery of a 2020 Forester Touring. Hope to get 289k out of it as well!

When accepting the vehicle, the dealer rep told me the oil needs to be changed every 6000 miles. Two questions for Forester experts:

2. What's the best oil for when I start changing the oil myself? Btw I have a Mitivac oil changing pump.

The dealer recommends an oil change every 10,000 km (or 6,000 miles) and you are supposed to use synthetic oil. Of course this is what the dealer recommends but perhaps with synthetic oil you can go longer between changes? That part I don't know but I'm sure you can find more info about that online.

A service interval of 6000 miles is an estimate for average driving. Stop and go driving would be shorter interval as well as all highway miles could go longer.

I hjave a 2020 Outback and have the same recommendation.

I traded an Explorer for the OB and it had the internal recommender and it usually went 10000 or more. My drives here are often 30 mi to Dr or grocerys.

Im using a synthetic and changed the first about 8000 and now w/ wuhan have just about 10K. This will get me to summer before next change. I always change filter, so easy on the OB.

6000 is just for dealer business. I once had a VW BUG (1964) and I believe those recommended 1500 w/ valve adj every 3000

Had an ML430 that MB Canada bought back from us. You had much better service!

Cool photo...are you a pilot? Own your own aircraft?

My friend had to rebuild his aircraft motor. Cam lobe wear. Lost power on take off....
I try and do oil changes more often than the dealer recommends. Lots of winter starts. Canada. And short trips. High wear. So I change oil more often. And I'm careful what I put in.

Hi Dave L...I fly for the Commemorative Air Force Airbase Georgia...check out our website sometime.

Yes one has to watch aircraft engines very closely.

Im used to doing my on oil changes with a Mitivac pump...but for now while under warranty I have the dealer do the oil changes. Im a big fan of Mobile 1 but I think they use standard Subaru 0-20 oil. Temp range here in Ohio not as bad as Canada...been there in the winter a bunch. Yes up there during winter id do the oil changes more frequently. Brrrrrr....

Rauhbatz here's a link for you...this museum is about 35 miles away.
https://www.warplane.com
thanks for your response...Toronto's weather is very moderate. I was a ski instructor for 35 years, but that was some time ago.
(Terry Goddard was a family friend. He passed away recently. He was navigator who put a torpedo in the rudder of Bismarck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Bismarck )

I'm delighted to meet you here.

I'll keep changing oil more frequently than recommended. After all auto manufacturers make money two ways. Selling cars. Selling parts. And the dealers and others make money servicing defective assemblies.

Your Mercedes has a longer interval because the spec of that oil is designed to go longer. But the oil cost more. My BMW say 15k but I always changed it at 7,500. Mostly I would find the right spec of oil and follow the 6k guidelines if you intend to have the vehicle a long time. Oil is cheap, engines are not.

I noticed you mentioned oil pump!! Does that forgoe removing the drain plug? Id never do that. Pull the plug and let the "crap and corruption out."
Im using Mobil 1 and change about every 9000 and it os due..

I have a Mityvac that I have used for oil changes for a decade. Works great and you don't have to get under the car. Can't beat it.

first breaking in oil id do at 1k miles
then 6k on Mobil1

On the outback I go 8000 w/ Mobil 1.. Had Equinox prior and it 'kept track' of need
for oil change and it usually went 9000 or more. I dont think Outback is any different.

If I remember 65 Beetle was changed every 1500 and valves adj every 3000 but we didnt use Mobil 1...and it had a funny oil strainer and no filter.

Subaru service interval is 6 months or 6k miles. Which ever comes first. I refuse to use Mobil 1 oil as my Subaru ran like crap when I used it. I immediately switch to Pennzoil and zero issues. Used pennzoil up until 105K and switch to Rotella T6 5w40 and the car runs fantastic.

Ask a Question