Brakes soft after changing brake caliper

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2001 forester S and over the weekend I changed my front brake calipers due to one of them sticking. After changing the calipers, my brakes were super soft when I turn on my car. Bleed the brakes 2-3 times already. Also bled the master cylinder as well. Any ideas as to what this might be? Thanks

You either have a leak somewhere or your caliper piston is not bled completely. Did you replace it with a whole new caliper or rebuild the existing one?
You can try to reverse bleed them by pushing fluid up through bleed valve with a fluid syringe.

You either have a leak somewhere or your caliper piston is not bled completely. Did you replace it with a whole new caliper or rebuild the existing one?
You can try to reverse bleed them by pushing fluid up through bleed valve with a fluid syringe.
A whole new brake caliper. Will try to reverse bleed

It's very possible that the caliper is not fully filled with fluid to allow it to grab enough and that's what's causing your soft pedal. Also remember that just because you changed the one. You still have to bleed all the brakes or you will still get air in the lines.

When I rebuild the calipers on my 944 they were a PITA to bleed because the fluid hadn't built up in the caliper piston. I ended up bench bleeding the calipers and that solved my problem.

Ask a Question