Brake Squeal...

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We have a 2016 Impreza which I did a brake job at the beginning of the summer on. New pads and Rotors all the way around. Recently I've been hearing a squealing from the passenger side rear wheel. It's not a constant squeal, sounds like something is rubbing in only one spot and can only be heard when going between 5-20mph. Also, the sound isn't heard when going in reverse. When its not squealing the sound is replaced by a very slight grinding noise heard at the same frequency and speed as the squeal.
I've already swapped the pads from side to side just to see if that made a difference which it didn't. Pretty sure its brake system noise as when I doused the wheel in break cleaner, the squeal goes away and is replaced by the light grind instead. I was going to maybe try swapping the rotors just for hahas even though if it was a bad rotor, I would have heard the noise right from the start, right? Stuck caliper would be making noise all the time not just in a certain spot I think. Maybe the E-brake drum system is cocked slightly to one side somehow and is only rubbing in a certain spot? IDK! haha

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions before I start swapping and even worse buying things!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Ask a Question