Brake fluid exchange and the rear section of the reservoir.

Reaction score
Old at driving old at maintenance on the DIY side. Enjoying the 17 Forester and at 60k no major problems, that is until today when I decided it was time to do a brake fluid change. I know the bleeding sequence so I got set up to start on the RF. When I suctioned out the front reservoir chamber I thought all was going well, it was to that point but just how the heck does one get the fluid out of the rear chamber without using a Mighty Vac and remove it by bleeding the entire rear chamber system ? I like to start with fresh in the reservoir no matter what vehicle I do, 2 3 or 4 wheels. TIA the oldowner

Answering my own question, you can only extract the brake reservoir part of the system by removing the cap and sucking out the fluid and replacing it, the rear larger area is the CLUTCH reservoir .The reservoir per the BOOK is both for the brakes AND a CLUTCH system, A chamber for EACH yet when one does the RF brake fluid extraction BOTH fluid levels drop together and you REFILL BOTH chambers from the FRONT “ the only opening”. Check the BRAKE fluid level in the FRONT chamber. Used DOT 4 and total time taking my time 1 1/2 hours. I could access all the bleeders by jacking each wheel up till it just clears the floor, this leaves enough room to reach around the tire and with this rim design reach trough the rim opening. I use O2 tubing and a Mity VAC. 1300 < > of DOT 4 fluid.

Ask a Question