Brake, check engine, cruise control lights blinking

Reaction score
In my outback 2013, the brake, check engine, and cruise control light started blinking after changing the battery. So I took the car back to the place where the battery was replaced, and they told me that the problem was the catalytic converter ( code P0420) and had nothing to do with the battery? Before spending extra money on a repair that could not be necessary, any ideas? Thanks

I am not making any assumptions here, but did you recently get fuel? Forgetting to get the cap tight CAN cause all those indications Could also be (what I recently experienced in my 15 Forester, doing the same things, a small leak in a vacuum line. EVERYBODY wants to sell you a new converter - be wary. Have a suby shop check it too.

i have a 2009 impreza obs. that had that same code and lights. it is the catalytic converter. what i did was replace my o2 sensor first, and reset the computer (unplug battery). if the lights dont come back on, it was just the o2 sensor. if they come back on, replace the cat and reset the computer again and your issue is fixed. i did both myself, very easy fix just a few bolts. hope this helps!

i bought my cat online for 170 and o2 sensor for 150 at advance auto parts. a lot cheaper than the 1200 quote i got from a mechanic. the fix isnt a bad one! actually lucky its this over the motor. dont let anyone freak you out! it can be fixed easy :)

Ask a Question