Binding on 2004 Forest might need Transfer Clutch Value Assembly wonder who else has had this issue.

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a 2004 Subaru Forester and have been to multiple mechanics for a "stubbing" or binding sensation when I make a 90-degrees or more turn on the driver's side of the car. Such as when I make a U-turn or turn into a parking spot, It happens at lower speeds.
So far the upper front control arms have been replaced., the motor mounts, the power steering pump, and the front sway bar links. None of when have eliminated the issue. The last mechanic did some research and pulled a Technical Service Bulletin on Transfer Clutch Valve Assembly and believes that is the issue but he does not do transmission work.

My Forester, which I love, has 65,000 miles on it but I do not know what is involved in replacing this piece nor if the cost is it worth it? I am afraid that opening up the transmission might lead to other issues.
Has anyone had this work done in their older Forester and if do did it solve the problem and what did it cost?

Thank you for your thoughts and guidance.
Dgreen

Ask a Question