Best mods/upgrades for rough roads?

Reaction score
I'm in Northern Ontario, Canada where roads are very rough and damaged. I'm in the market for an Outback (probably a 2017-2019 Limited) and curious to know what modifications/upgrades would be recommended to help make the car more capable and resilient in rough conditions. Big potholes are normal up here, as well as lots of snow (I will switch to dedicated winter tires) and gravel roads. Outbacks that I'm looking at now have the stock wheels (18in) and tires so I was looking at tire options (Geolandars?) or off-road appropriate wheels as well. Are there suspension upgrades that would be good bang for the buck? I don't have big overlanding aspirations (yet) but basic roads/highways are pretty brutal where I am and I find myself cringing and praying far too often in my Sienna that the next big hit won't be my Sienna's last.

Do your own research on suspension "upgrades" but don't buy junk.
Be aware of alignment and suspension dynamics with any suspension "upgrade".
Pay attention to CVT Transmissions and do your own research.
The CVT should have more services performed over time that will include the differentials.

My vehicle:
Tires

Summers w/TPMS OEM Rims
BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT
225/55R 18

Winters w/TPMS Audi Q3 Aftermarket rims (perfect fit) or Steel Rims
Sailun Ice Blazer WSTX Studded (Triple Peak)
225/55R 18

Suspension
Standard Shock/Spring Assemblies with 30cm (1.2in) lift at shock mounts

Engine
Stock 3.6L H6

Transmission
Stock 5EAT with regular oil and filter changes

Ask a Question