All Dash lights flashing

Reaction score
In the last year my Forester diesel has had the DPF replaced and a full carbon clean done. They did the carbon clean because the cruise control light was flashing along with the X mode, traction control, up hill assist, engine, and information lights. The carbon clean didn't fix the problem.
They checked over the environmental system and found another faulty sensor, the EGR valve, it has taken Subaru 8 months to finally fix this after cancelling the order from Japan.
They say they took the car for a test drive and all was ok however they were only gone about 10 minutes and I told them the lights all came back on after 15 to 20 minutes of driving.
A long story a little shorter I drove the car home and as I was almost there the traction control light came on again. After driving the car to work the next morning all the lights are back on again.
The car is booked in to have another go at finding the issues but as I have spent over $7,000 on this Issues so far I am becoming very stressed and a little angry.
Anyone have any ideas what this might be.
Please don't suggest match as I have thought about it myself. I can even sell the car until they stop the lights flashing like a Xmas tree.
I love my Forester but I can't afford thisrubbish.

And the model year is?
Your model is an AU version?
Do you own an OBD scan tool?
Is it the "EE20 2.0L turbo diesel boxer?

Last edited:
The model is 2017 2.0DL CVT Wagon.
Boxer diesel.
My daughter has a scan tool. I was going to get her to use it but I have been sick all week and don't want to pass it on to her
After each ( hugely expensive work) to fix the problem all the lights are flashing again within 30 minutes of driving, usually all flashing by the time I get home from Subaru.

This latest work was EGR control valve.
Found EGR control valve fault.
Removed and replaced EGR control valve.
C/O road test all ok. The problem with this last comment is that I told them to drive it for at least 20 to 30 minutes which is funny as they only drove it for less than 10 minutes.

Not all scan tools will offer the recorded fault information that is comparable with a factory scan tool.
The OBD II scan tool offers basic engine data and very limited with transmission data.
If you're not comfortable with diagnostics or performing repairs, consider another service center.
Since this model has the instrument cluster warnings ON and with the money spent, request the dealer to give you a complete diagnostic report. That would be a good start.

After using an OBD 2 scanner the code said that the EGR valve was partly blocked so in desperation I used an EGR and Cat cleaner which worked really well and I ended up with the car being towed.
The service department said that the fuel rail was out of spec and had to be replaced along with the fuel rail sensor and a bunch of gaskets.
I don't even know if they have checked the EGR valve again.
The end result of this is that I am being hit with another $3280 something dollars worth of repairs and the part has to come from Japan. This means the car is off the road for 3 to 4 weeks. They offered to do a trade on a new Crosstrex but the trade in offer was pathetic, they offered me $5000 total for my Forester which won't even pay out the lease which is $10,000.
I don't know what to do as I don't even want to bring the car home again as the lights will start flashing before I even get in the driveway.
Can't afford to sell it and can't afford to keep it.
NEVER EVER BUY A SUBARU!
The cars in general may be good, (I wouldn't know), but the service and staff are NOT, at least where I get mine serviced.

In the last year my Forester diesel has had the DPF replaced and a full carbon clean done. They did the carbon clean because the cruise control light was flashing along with the X mode, traction control, up hill assist, engine, and information lights. The carbon clean didn't fix the problem.
They checked over the environmental system and found another faulty sensor, the EGR valve, it has taken Subaru 8 months to finally fix this after cancelling the order from Japan.
They say they took the car for a test drive and all was ok however they were only gone about 10 minutes and I told them the lights all came back on after 15 to 20 minutes of driving.
A long story a little shorter I drove the car home and as I was almost there the traction control light came on again. After driving the car to work the next morning all the lights are back on again.
The car is booked in to have another go at finding the issues but as I have spent over $7,000 on this Issues so far I am becoming very stressed and a little angry.
Anyone have any ideas what this might be.
Please don't suggest match as I have thought about it myself. I can even sell the car until they stop the lights flashing like a Xmas tree.
I love my Forester but I can't afford thisrubbish.
On youtube, Mr Wizard reviews a subaru condition similar to yours. It was a bad purge valve. These cars he says are designed like this so that they light up even with something really dumb going wrong.

On youtube, Mr Wizard reviews a subaru condition similar to yours. It was a bad purge valve. These cars he says are designed like this so that they light up even with something really dumb going wrong.
It was an emissions issue. It's Mr. Car Wizard, not Mr. Wizard. He worked on a 2017 outback.

@ casfish: Incorrect model, incorrect engine, incorrect market.
The Subaru in question is a diesel and does not have a "purge valve". Diesel models do not have EVAP purge valves.
youtube star wizard only works with the North American market.

Sounds like you might have some contaminated diesel fuel. Common rail diesel injection systems require water and contaminant free diesel fuel. Has the fuel system been checked for water?

Sounds like you might have some contaminated diesel fuel. Common rail diesel injection systems require water and contaminant free diesel fuel. Has the fuel system been checked for water?
Sorry for the late reply
I will get them to check the system for water and as the car will be sitting for another month I have a bit of time.
I was informed that the fuel rail has to be fabricated because they have none in stock in Japan.
This is a never ending nightmare!
The buyer I had for the car pulled out after finding out it will be at least another month.

Draw at litre or so from the fuel tank (fuel hose to engine) and store in a clear safe container.
Let the fuel test settle, water and fuel will separate.

Draw at litre or so from the fuel tank (fuel hose to engine) and store in a clear safe container.
Let the fuel test settle, water and fuel will separate.
The car has been living at Subaru for the last 6 weeks and will be there for at least another 2 weeks to a month. I will ask them to check for water in the fuel.
I had run a EGU sensor cleaner through the system before this happened as I have become so desperate.
Subaru Australia are still investigating the last year of problems with this car but have not got back to me with any information or suggestions. Subaru may make good cars, for the most part, but the communication is the worst I have ever experienced, at least in Australia.

Ask a Question