Air In Coolant

Reaction score
So this is my first time posting here, and I've googled and googled and not been able to find a good answer.

I purchased a 2006 Forester X in December, and it had just had new head gaskets put on, as well as a timing belt, and a water pump. Started having trouble with the car soon after I bought it with no heat. Long story short, I thought the gasket were bad, pulled the motor and heads and the heads were cracked. SoI purchased another motor off a guy (with a whole lot let miles, and cheaper than buying just heads. Put it on the stand, pulled the heads, had the valves and everything cleaned, heads surfaced. Purchased a head gasket kit from six star. Followed all their directions, and put the engine in. Used the timing belt and water pump from the original motor (parts had less than 1k miles on them) and when I try to bleed the coolant, once the engine gets warm, it blows huge bubbles out of the coolant funnel, and when the engine is turned off, the coolant level in the funnel decreases dramatically (I had this symptom with the first engine, before I pulled it, but it had cracked heads). I bought a block tester, and according to it, there's no combustion gases in my coolant.

My question is, could a failed water pump cause this issue? My reasoning is potentially it isn't circulating water, and it's boiling off, and creating this expansion of gas which travels up and out the coolant funnel. The water pump looked perfectly fine when I switched it over to the engine, but I do not know what brand it is.

Thanks for you help, and I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Ask a Question