Aftermarket wheel bearnings

Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on replacing your wheel bearings when the day comes on your Subaru.. I have had two different bad experiences with this. First my 2015 Forester Touring ,had one go bad so I bought one at the local parts house and installed it. Didn't get 500 feet and almost all the dash lights came on. Took it off compared it to the oem one and there is a difference on the senor side of the bearing of about 1/8 inch( shorter). This causes a gap between the sensor and bearing that that is too large to allow the senor to read the bearing. Went to Subaru bought a new oem one put it on and all is back to normal. (had to disconnect the battery to clear the dash ) , Today on my 2016 (I bought one on ebay ) installed it and the same results. I just wanted to pass this on maybe I can save someone some time. If you still decide to buy an aftermarket compare the axle end of the bearing to each other. you will see the difference in length of the collar. Now I have had someone get lucky on their 2013 Crosstrek and buy a local parts house bearing and it worked just find. So some brands may be OK.

This is why I always go with OEM parts. With OEM parts you never had to worry about them being out of spec. They're the same parts your parts your vehicle was originally equipped with .

Ask a Question