AC blower fan slows down...then is OK...then slows down again

Reaction score
Hi there:

'06 OUtback sedan here with 3.0 H6 engine. Last several weeks the AC blower fan has been slowing down, sometimes to a sputter, then sppeding back up and slowing down again while either idling or driving.

This is an intermittent problem. When it does blow properly, the AC is nice and cold, so my problem is not with the AC needing to be charged.

The blower fan does NOT change speeds in connection with the engine speed, and accelerating the gas pedal makes no difference. I am experiencing no other electrical problems with the car. I have the temperature setting type of control, but also a fan speed control on this model.

One possible clue is that when I turn on the AC first thing in the morning, after the car has been garaged in a cool space all night, the system generally works fine. But when I try to start the AC up after work when the car has been sitting in the hot sun all day,the problem is at its worst.

The fan has yet to die completely, but at its slowest speed, I can hear it chugging and sputtering as if laboring.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

Tim

Ask a Question