97 Subaru Legacy L T-Case Problem

Discussion in 'Subaru Legacy' started by Mrfixer, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Mrfixer

Mrfixer

Hello, I am planning on going to look at a 1997 Subaru Legacy L. Over the the car looks to be in decent shape. 166k on the dash, only problem is the gentleman says the T-case sticks on tight turns. I’m not sure what this means. I’m assuming it’s a AWD thing. I’m not to familiar with Subaru’s or AWDs at all. Is this a simple fix? He said he changed the fluid but it did not fix the problem. He also stated his mechanic told him there is no need for the T-case to be replaced. Could I get a little insight as to what this problem is, can I fix it and is it a expensive fix. BTW he’s asking $1400 for it.

Mrfixer, Jul 16, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. Mrfixer

sub 6

we had a 97 legacy... 135,000 miles...
    on Hard right or left turns, [in all wheel drive], we get a bit of a skip or a slight thud which is the Transfer case situation. sort of like the back wheel hit a small bump.
    never was a big deal or un-safe for us to have fixed....

btw: since we hardly get any measurable snow to speak of, we drove the car most times in FWD..
    simple to do.. a 15amp fuse in the engine compartment get's pulled or put in.. can't remember which now... takes 2 seconds...
    this disconnects the car from AWD... saves gas in the long run also. drove for years in FWD only.
    "FWD" will show up on your dash ..

sub 6, Jul 21, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question