97 Subaru Legacy L T-Case Problem

Reaction score
Hello, I am planning on going to look at a 1997 Subaru Legacy L. Over the the car looks to be in decent shape. 166k on the dash, only problem is the gentleman says the T-case sticks on tight turns. I’m not sure what this means. I’m assuming it’s a AWD thing. I’m not to familiar with Subaru’s or AWDs at all. Is this a simple fix? He said he changed the fluid but it did not fix the problem. He also stated his mechanic told him there is no need for the T-case to be replaced. Could I get a little insight as to what this problem is, can I fix it and is it a expensive fix. BTW he’s asking $1400 for it.

we had a 97 legacy... 135,000 miles...
on Hard right or left turns, [in all wheel drive], we get a bit of a skip or a slight thud which is the Transfer case situation. sort of like the back wheel hit a small bump.
never was a big deal or un-safe for us to have fixed....

btw: since we hardly get any measurable snow to speak of, we drove the car most times in FWD..
simple to do.. a 15amp fuse in the engine compartment get's pulled or put in.. can't remember which now... takes 2 seconds...
this disconnects the car from AWD... saves gas in the long run also. drove for years in FWD only.
"FWD" will show up on your dash ..

Ask a Question