'93 Legacy won't start

Reaction score
MY '93 AWD AT Legacy won't start. Started fine this am and then drove to work. Went out an hour later, seemed like plenty of juice, but no crank and no solenoid ratcheting. There was a click like when the solenoid is really dead. Pulled the starter had it tested (rebuilt, less than a year old) and it tested fine. Fuses under the hood good. Reinstalled starter, battery low - took to service station for charge. On return, tried cranking, nothing not even a click. My Haynes Manual says something about Automatic transaxle not completely engaged in park. It seems to be. Could it be something with the shift lever solenoid inside the shift lever assembly or the neutral/park sensor mounted on the transmission? Not sure how to determine which it is. Thanks for your help

Brian

Brian, I have the same problem with an '09 Legacy. On occasion, engine will not crank even though battery/charging system is fine. It's been to the dealer 4 times with no resolution. Jiggling the shifter (automatic trans) or putting it in neutral instead of park will get the car started. The dealer replaced the inhibitor (neutral lockout switch) but that didn't help as it did the no crank thing a week later. They're still trying to figure it out. It's intermittent and annoying. Anyone else have this problem?

Ask a Question