4 cylinder Outback vs 6 and the addition of chrome to exterior

Reaction score
I am the happy owner of a 2015 6 cylinder Outback with 90k. We planned to sell the car to our son and buy a new version. What a shock to learn we could not replace our car! Not only have they gone to 4 cylinder but they have gone way outside the Subaru practical exterior design, adding CHROME to side mirrors, door handles and roof racks. We left the showroom and have been trying to figure out if we should wait and see if 6 cylinder will make a comeback?

We travel great distances with the Outback, very ofter with either a fully loaded car top carrier or a canoe, driving through mountains. The 6 cylinder can sometimes have difficulty navigating our mountain adventures, straining to keep up with our other car, a Volvo and we fear the 4 will be even worse.

Also why on earth would chrome be brought back after car manufacturers finally figured out long ago it is not practical to use, not to mention it is tacky.

Anyone else feel the same way?

The chrome you see is on touring models only. The 6 cylinder will most likely never come back. The new 2.4T makes more power and gets better gas mileage than the 6 cylinder ever did or would. The 2.4T is a fantastic engine and has plenty of power to navigate mountain adventures or anything else you'll need to do.

I feel you on the chrome though. I personally believe chrome should ONLY be on motorcycles.

I agree with Remy6908 regarding the 2.4L turbo engine. Although I never owned or drove a 3.6L Outback, I briefly owned a 2019 Outback Limited 2.5L and it was too sluggish and high-revving for my tastes. I traded it for a 2021 Outback XT Touring and what a performance, acceleration and handling difference! The 2.4L has more hp and more low-end torque under 4,000 RPM than the 3.6L. You should test drive an Outback XT. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the power and acceleration it has, likely on par with your previous 3.6L if not better.

I am the happy owner of a 2015 6 cylinder Outback with 90k. We planned to sell the car to our son and buy a new version. What a shock to learn we could not replace our car! Not only have they gone to 4 cylinder but they have gone way outside the Subaru practical exterior design, adding CHROME to side mirrors, door handles and roof racks. We left the showroom and have been trying to figure out if we should wait and see if 6 cylinder will make a comeback?

We travel great distances with the Outback, very ofter with either a fully loaded car top carrier or a canoe, driving through mountains. The 6 cylinder can sometimes have difficulty navigating our mountain adventures, straining to keep up with our other car, a Volvo and we fear the 4 will be even worse.

Also why on earth would chrome be brought back after car manufacturers finally figured out long ago it is not practical to use, not to mention it is tacky.

Anyone else feel the same way?
The 6s seem to have alot more problem and tight engine compartment

Ask a Question