2021 Outback Limited XT

Reaction score
Bought a new Outback after my 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R was a total loss after being hit while fully stopped at a red light. Here are a few thoughts in no particular order:
  • I was expecting a major trade off in power, had the 3.6R in my last two Outbacks and have the turbo 4 in the new XT. Granted I'm still in the break-in period but so far am not missing the 6 cylinder engine. Turbo 4 will be run a bit harder once the first 1,000 miles at sub 4K on the tach is passed but so far it is zippy without sounding like I have an overburdened lawn mower under the hood.
  • BIG touch screen and controls for climate. Seems that a lot of reviewers are complaining about the new Subaru headset and accessing the climate controls. I don't want to discount any issues folks had with the Gen 1 software but I have absolutely no issues with the interface. In fact, drove my 2012 Outback Limited 3.6R earlier today and wondered how I used to be able to see those small poorly marked buttons.
  • The ride quality and luxury factor of Subaru's goes up each year. This is the most comfortable, best handling and best cornering model I have driven yet.
  • Maps and Navigation. Map updates are still a bit of a pain, long download to a USB stick them upload to car all takes a bit of time. Would not do the big update via WiFi connection but have since added smaller updates via home WiFi connection and they seem to be updating just fine. One weird quirk is that the Nav doesn't show adjacent street names when not navigating to a location and simply have the Nav open and displaying. 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R nav showed all street names all the time so a bit different.
  • Love the Bronze color and the new two-tone interior and was happy to get $2K off MSRP as this chip shortage heated up.
  • Seems that Subaru adds some value each year and the 2021 Outback Limited XT is my fav yet. Looking forward to pointing it uphill and seeing how she runs on the interstate over the mountain passes.
HTH!

I’m really glad to read this. I just bought a 2021 Touring XT in order to get more towing capacity (traded in a 2014 Forester). I strongly considered a used 2016-2018 six cylinder and a few were available around here (or shipped here free). But after testing the Onyx and the Touring XT (which is what I bought) I was hooked. Plus used car prices are a little nuts right now and, despite the car shortage, I still got a good discount off of MSRP. But, of course, I’ve experienced a little buyer’s remorse. Your review helps cure me of that!

It’s certainly a huge step up from the 2014 Forester I had, but that’s not surprising.

It should be a really great car to drive in the mountains. We’re taking our first road trip in it this weekend, though we won’t be going over any really high passes on this trip.

Anyway, glad you’re liking your new car. Have fun!

Just a few more thoughts on my 2021 Subaru Outback Limited XT
  • I continue to be impressed by the handling of the 2021 Outback, Subaru has upped their game since 2018. Better cornering and less body lean, sharp steering w/o being harsh. Love the handling so far.
  • I like that the exterior gas door is now accessed by depressing the door and it pops open. Never was a fan of remembering to pull the lever on the driver's side floor before pumping gas
  • I do not like the removal of the gas struts from the front hood. Lifting the hood and affixing the rod to hold the hood open seems like what I'd expect to find on my son's base Impreza not on a Limited Outback
  • Voice commands on the Subaru system are still clunky at best. Wish the darn system would look up places because if I had the address I'd punch it in and not have to ask the voice system for help. I've also had mixed results with asking the system to play a specific artist.
  • System is no better no worst than what was in my 2018 Outback but sheesh, one would think there would have been some forward progress in 3 years. This system is no Siri and frankly I don't use it much because of the above reasons.
  • The front dash cubby where the USB's live is a good size for my Ipod touch but there is no cover so I use a microfiber dust cloth that I fold and lay on top of my Ipod so it is not visible from outside the car. Subaru needs to rework/rethink the front cubby. I preferred the cubby on the 2018 but know due to the screen size in the 2021 something had to give.
  • I do like that Subaru continues to put power in the main storage under the armrest, may I suggest putting a USB port back in there for those of us that want to connect and run Ipods and leave them in our Subaru's?
  • Harmon Kardon stereo/system is nice, great sound and I do like music when driving
  • Gas mileage coming in around 22 mpg in mixed riving on my first two tanks of gas
Back with more updates and thoughts as I have them.

HTH!

""Gas mileage coming in around 22 mpg in mixed riving on my first two tanks of gas""

Copied from just above.

I foigured mileage for our 2020 2.4 outback the other day.

For 10,600 mi averaged just over 29.. We dont have many mountains here, and few hills either.
Mileage is for mostly non freeway driving, of the 10.600 probably 1000-1500 on interstate at 75 mph..

Ask a Question