2021 Crosstrek Loud Buzzing from the dash and remote starter not working

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Premium in November 2020 and had the dealer install a remote starter. After 3 days the infotainment went black - no radio, no backup camera, nothing. The dealer disassembled the dash, and replaced it with a brand new one. A few weeks later I was back at the dealer because the USB charging ports on the dash were not working, they said it was because they did not make the connection tight when they put everything back together after replacing the infotainment unit. Possible, but frustrating.

On occasion, I would hear a loud buzzing from the dash when opening a front door when the car was off. It seemed to be pretty random and I was having no other issues with the car, so I figured I would talk to the dealer at my first oil change. A few days ago, the remote starter stopped working. The batteries in the remote are fine, but nothing happens when I try to use either remote. The first time the remote did not work, about 15 seconds after I turned the key and started the car, I heard the loud buzz and I got something on the infotainment screen saying the satellite was reacquiring the signal - something I had never seen it do before and that was the first time the buzz happened when the car was running.

Tomorrow the car goes in to see about the remote start and I told them about the buzzing noise. My husband is convinced that it is the remote starter that I had the dealer install that is causing all of the problems (he was against it from the beginning). Has anyone else had this happen or heard about this happening?

I checked the NHTSA complaints about 2021 Crosstrek but they haven't reported any yet. In 2020MY the problems are mostly with wiper and visibility but one consumer has a similar electrical problem reported. Remote starter problem with large engine noise and even after rectifying the device the engine noise issue persisted. A car indigo reliability review of Crosstrek says no recalls yet for this problem has been issued, so I think you should contact your dealership asap.

Ask a Question