2020 Outback Auto Stop Start

Reaction score
Greetings. I just got a 2020 Outback traded in my 2010 which actually still had a lot of life left.. shrug. I love the car so far but really dislike the Auto Stop. I understand its an EPA driven un-feature. I wonder if it could be programmed to 'at least' be delayed before it kicks on?? Say for example set if for 3-5 minutes ... if you are stuck in stop/go traffic and crawling and stopping that will end up tripping the stop/start many times .. that can't be good for the starter of battery.. come on Subaru. The EPA is controlling how we operate our vehicles. Besides the fuel savings and impact on the Environment is small but I am greatly concerned about our Planet. Do something that has a bigger impact EPA!!... out law all the plastic bottles to start with that end up in land fills and the oceans. Cattle farts are putting more pollution in the atmosphere than car exhaust.

edit: I do know how to disable this function via the Car Icon. I also realize that each time the car is turned off it defaults back to ON. EPA Control...

Greetings. I just got a 2020 Outback traded in my 2010 which actually still had a lot of life left.. shrug. I love the car so far but really dislike the Auto Stop. I understand its an EPA driven un-feature. I wonder if it could be programmed to 'at least' be delayed before it kicks on?? Say for example set if for 3-5 minutes ... if you are stuck in stop/go traffic and crawling and stopping that will end up tripping the stop/start many times .. that can't be good for the starter of battery.. come on Subaru. The EPA is controlling how we operate our vehicles. Besides the fuel savings and impact on the Environment is small but I am greatly concerned about our Planet. Do something that has a bigger impact EPA!!... out law all the plastic bottles to start with that end up in land fills and the oceans. Cattle farts are putting more pollution in the atmosphere than car exhaust.

edit: I do know how to disable this function via the Car Icon. I also realize that each time the car is turned off it defaults back to ON. EPA Control...[/QUOTE Go to your rear window defrost field. Change it from 15 minute cut off to continuous. When you start the car, just hit the defrost button. Needs to be done every start.

Go to your rear window defrost field. Change the setting from 15 minute cutoff to continuous. When you start the car, push the rear window defrost button to "on". Needs to be done every startup, but easier than other methods.

I also have a 2020 Outback and find the Auto Start/Stop annoying. The dealer had a printed sheet of "Cheats" to use. Turn on the defroster and leave it on, turn the steering wheel a bit when stopped. Use the screen to shut it off each time you start the engine. When stopping, don't push the brake pedal all the way, just a little less pressure and the engine won't shut down. Or, get used to it as I'm trying to do.

Thanks for the alternative tips. I'm used to shutting it off now. Just three buttons to push and its off. Sometimes the main screen defaults to the screen where I just shut it off. The main screen sometimes hesitates. I had the rear camera get stuck on once. I had to hit the Home button and then it went off. I wish there was a way to make the Radio screen default back because I use it constantly. Shrug.

When stopped, I just ever so slightly let up on the brake pedal and push it back down a little, and it wont shut of.

Do you have a trailer hitch ? install a extra break light on it. car will think it's towing a trailer, then the auto shut-off "should" not kick in.

My wife has a new Outback Onyx XT. She’s leaving it alone and isn’t really bothers her. It aggravates me. I have plans to purchase a new Legacy XT and will train myself to turn it off each time I start the car. My main issue with this is the implementation. If it occurred after a set time period or perhaps an adjustable time period I would leave it alone. In urban areas there will be multiple instances when stuck in stop and go traffic or stopped at a long congested traffic light intersection where this would be a great and useful feature. But coming up to a stop sign or when parking, that’s just stupid.

As to the stress on the battery and the starter, Subaru places a special high performance battery and starter to deal with this. As we’ll all find out when we have to replace that battery down the road. A typical Standard Auto Parts battery won’t cut it. I can only imagine what a comparable replacement will cost.

edit: I do know how to disable this function via the Car Icon. I also realize that each time the car is turned off it defaults back to ON. EPA Control...
I'm not that concerned about battery life because it monitors the state of the battery and if it is not charged enough the auto start and stop will not engage. I am very concerned about the extra wear and tear on the starter and how long of a life it will have and if it stops working after the 3 year/36000 miles time will it be replaced without charge. Also I have always be lead to believe that a car uses more gas when it starts than when it is just idol so where is the gas savings?

Ask a Question