2020 Legacy "technology"

Reaction score
Curious if anyone else is having sporadic issues with the "technology"? being first gen i expect some issues while we all stress these systems out. I've had two issues that i can't predictable reproduce for Subaru to address:
1) stressing the "head unit" where no sound comes out of the speakers and the mic does not work. have to turn the car off, get out and lock the car and restart the car to reset and restore.
happened three times in various conditions. reported this and was asked to take to service center to inspect. as i expected they could not reproduce.

2) turned car off and could not lock the car. looked inside and the head unit was on and not shutting down. tried door lock, key lock. finally got back in and cycled through pushbutton start to finally get the head unit to shut down and be able to lock the car

love the car beyond these nucances mostly because i bought this car eyes wide open somewhat expecting some issue. luxury and performance of car is fantastic. very comfortable ride.

not to put a damper on your purchase as a 7th Subaru owner we have had,[5 legacy's/1 Forrester] you have a great car as I am a former Subaru Mechanic and reason i always buy subbies.. we bought a new leftover 2019 Legacy Limited this past november.
reason was the 1st GEN of a couple new technical things can be buggy. although I would have loved the Bigger new screen but didn't want to go 5k more for a 2020 just to get that.. NEW TURBO is a good plus. think we paid 27,500 for the loaded limited so was happy with the cost..[stop while your ahead. lol]
am sure they will get your issue straightened out.

Unfortunately even the major software companies, thinking of Apple here, can have major issues with new software releases. Their newest iOS, released in September, -13 - has just recently reached the stable state. I’m expecting Subaru to be issuing a lot of software updates over the next several months. It seems that’s where we are with devices that are heavily software dependent including cars. Patience, a lot of it, is required.

Unfortunately even the major software companies, thinking of Apple here, can have major issues with new software releases. Their newest iOS, released in September, -13 - has just recently reached the stable state. I’m expecting Subaru to be issuing a lot of software updates over the next several months. It seems that’s where we are with devices that are heavily software dependent including cars. Patience, a lot of it, is required.
good luck.. we do have I think close to best cars on the road..
consumer reports just gave 2020 legacy highest score in mid size..
above honda accord, toyota camery, hundai , mazda, ford fusion etc.

good luck.. we do have I think close to best cars on the road..
consumer reports just gave 2020 legacy highest score in mid size..
above honda accord, toyota camery, hundai , mazda, ford fusion etc.
I ordered a new Legacy XT in January, supposed to be delivered in May. I’m hopeful software patches will have been pushed out to all by then. My wife got the new Onyx XT Outback in January, we’ve had Subarus for 20 years now. Thought about other choices for our 14-15 year old Subarus but we’re just comfortable with what we know and didn’t want to stray. I hadn’t seen a suitable replacement for my 2006 Legacy GT, Subaru or otherwise, until these 2020s, so I will accept the occasional glitches.

for what its worth i have the white xlt touring with turbo. everything about it, short of the tech glitches, is fantastic! my first subaru!

I ordered a new Legacy XT in January, supposed to be delivered in May. I’m hopeful software patches will have been pushed out to all by then. My wife got the new Onyx XT Outback in January, we’ve had Subarus for 20 years now. Thought about other choices for our 14-15 year old Subarus but we’re just comfortable with what we know and didn’t want to stray. I hadn’t seen a suitable i owreplacement for my 2006 Legacy GT, Subaru ruor otherwise, until these 2020s, so I will accept the occasional glitches.
My fav subaru i owned was 97 LegacyGT. Great car.

another point. i took my ordered Legacy in October. I'm surprised i've not seen one software update push yet.

Curious if anyone else is having sporadic issues with the "technology"? being first gen i expect some issues while we all stress these systems out. I've had two issues that i can't predictable reproduce for Subaru to address:
1) stressing the "head unit" where no sound comes out of the speakers and the mic does not work. have to turn the car off, get out and lock the car and restart the car to reset and restore.
happened three times in various conditions. reported this and was asked to take to service center to inspect. as i expected they could not reproduce.

2) turned car off and could not lock the car. looked inside and the head unit was on and not shutting down. tried door lock, key lock. finally got back in and cycled through pushbutton start to finally get the head unit to shut down and be able to lock the car

love the car beyond these nucances mostly because i bought this car eyes wide open somewhat expecting some issue. luxury and performance of car is fantastic. very comfortable ride.

My first 2020 Legacy was in May. Two days later all tech/audio functions stopped working. Five months (with weekly visits to replace parts) they determined it was a dash wiring harness problem. I told them to go ahead and fix it, but in that same visit I ordered a replacement. I was done messing with it. I got my Touring in October and it has been working fine with a couple of intermittent quirks. For the most part, if something isn’t working, you just turn the car off and on again and everything works again. Strange. Aside from that, my first one had serious problems all tied to the new tech. I lost faith in my first one.

Running into Battery issues with my 2020 limited. My first generation "smart car" doesn't help my if the tech keeps draining the battery.

Honestly just it sounds like your particular vehicle has some issues that need repairs or replacement parts.

The driver monitoring thing does sound obnoxious though. I'd rather a system that delivered smacks to the backs of the heads of all the jerks who tailgate and cut off rather than something that hassles me for not looking where it thinks I should.

Ask a Question