2018 Fuel pump problem

Reaction score
There have been times when I've parked my car in the garage and heard the fuel pump continue to run after shutting off the engine. I can re-start the engine, shut it off quickly and the fuel pump stops running.
Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Are you sure it is the fuel pump? Not sure if Subaru does it, but many manufacturers do Evaporative Emission checks after key off. They run a pump to pressurize the system and monitor pressure drop. I know my Toyota Highlander does this randomly after key off and several hours later sometimes.

lowackers, thanks for your reply. I have never heard of the procedure you are describing. I can't even understand why any car would have to run a EE check. Why does your car perform this test?

It must be a govt required check of the evaporative emission system. It runs a pump to pressurize the system. If it detects a leak it sets a DTC for Evap system leak. Probably a CARB deal. California likes to be more strict on emissions than the feds.

There have been times when I've parked my car in the garage and heard the fuel pump continue to run after shutting off the engine. I can re-start the engine, shut it off quickly and the fuel pump stops running.
Anybody else experiencing this problem?
It could be a stuck relay

MattC, thanks for that suggestion. I'll try that the next time it happens.

Ask a Question