2017 Forester XT Touring

Reaction score
For those owning a 2017 Forester; This is just an update for those that own a similar model. I initially scoured the internet for solutions but only found older subaru model info. So I'm joining this forum to maybe help someone out in the future.
The Subaru 60K Mile checkup (From a Subaru Dealer) includes multiple items including spark plug replacement. I had mine done and within 3 days, after driving 250+ miles, I had a error code of P0300 (misfire). I contacted the dealer and they stated to reset the Electronics (i.e. either have someone reset the error; or remove the battery connections so the system would reboot); I opted to do what the dealer stated...........disconnect both terminals (positive and negative) and put them together to "close the loop" for 2 minutes. This reset the control module. Restarted the Car and the error code went away. The misfire code didn't repeat so I think I'm good. The Dealer said that the Misfire code happens after the spark plug replacement (sometimes) as maybe some material got into the system and caused the sensors to think a misfire actually occurred. As happened to me, backing out of the driveway on the way to work (205+ miles of driving following the dealer 60K maintenance btw); the Engine check light stayed in solid (which the dealer said if it was solid that then it occurred in the past, if it was blinking then that's an indication that the misfire is occurring continuously); this causes the Hill assist light to come in solid, the cruise control to blink, and the "sport mode" to blink; basically the Engine Check light drives these other lights and causes them to be "inabled" as the engine thinks that you shouldnt use cruise control, etc. if theres an actual misfire.
Summary: if you have similar indications; reboot your control module (battery disconnect) and then start the engine. if they stay cleared then your good, otherwise you may have an actual misfire condition.

Update: misfire code happened again after 2 days. Normal start and was letting engine warm up, within 45 seconds the alarm came in. Per Subaru the check engine not blinking means that it was not a continuous misfire. Drives fine with check light locked in.
Has to be related to the recent 60k mile checkup performed at dealer.

Ask a Question