2014 Impreza Front Differential Question

Reaction score
Howdy Subies!

So, I've got a '14 Imrpeza Sport Premium 5-spd.
She started making a grinding noise related to vehicle speed, independent from engine speed or transmission gear/engagement, at highway speeds. So, I figured I'd better service the diffs and do the tranny and engine oil as long as I had it jacked up.

The rear diff was easy enough.

When I got to the front end, I couldn't find the drain/fill/inspection holes for the front differential. I've watched about a dozen YouTube videos and every Subaru they show has the same setup, with the drain and inspection holes on the bottom and the fill port above the right output shaft.

My transmission/diff assembly has a single T70 drain plug on the bottom and a single fill port with a dipstick on the top, kind of hidden under the air intake. The only things I could find that even remotely look like service points were 3 10mm hex plugs that have springs in them; I imagine those are for shift detents, but IDK.

The transmission model is TY758VD7CA and I can't find a decent diagram of it, though there are plenty of people happy to sell you a new or used transaxle...

Is the front differential fluid just one in the same as the transmission fluid in this thing? What's the deal?

Ask a Question