2014 Forester - Complete Electrical Failure

Reaction score
Having a serious issue with my 2014 Forester, providing as much detail because my local mechanic couldn't diagnose.

Current state: replaced the battery because it was suspected to be dead. New battery installed (confirmed it has 12.7 volts with volt meter) and NONE of the electrical components work. The dash lights, the interior lights, you name it, it does not power up. Checked the volts on the battery cable clamps and they are registering power (12.7 volts), so the connection there is good. When the ignition switch is turned forward, the head lights do power on, but that is it.

Prior Issues: Prior to the complete outage above, I was having a very odd short issue. When it would rain/snow, the hazard lights would power on (switch was off) by themselves. I would disconnect the battery for a day or two, then reconnect and things were fine. Oddly enough, if I pushed the "open trunk" button in the car when the hazards were on, the hazards would turn off while the button was pressed, but the trunk would not open. Mechanic could not track down the cause and despite pouring large quantities of water on the car, could not replicate.

Curious if anyone has heard of a similar issue before.

Ask a Question