2014 Crosstrek, 68k mile new transmission?!!!

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

New to the forum and frustrated! Hour into my sons drive to the West Coast he calls me with "i set the cruise control on 70 and the car just downshifted and rpms shot up"...he Facetimed me from the road and limpt on to a gas station at the next exit. We flat bedded the Crosstrek to the closest dealership near us after hours last night...I jumped n drove around the lot and basically it was metal on metal, and whining sound as if disengaged.

The car has 68,000 miles on it and the dealship just said it would be $10,300 for the transmission assembly and another $1900 in labor. So here is the thing...the differential fluid was changed out 5 days ago by Firestone near us. Gust there were very clear with me that they knew what the correct fluids were to go into it...coincidence of this catastrophic failure or something more? Clearly spending that amount on it is not worth the BB value of the car. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated. -DD

Report just back from dealership as well as video which I cannot share at the moment (maybe never depending on claim language) but negligence of fluid swap of the front diff from another service provider (very large organization). Working with them to cover repairs resulting in transmission failure....

Ask a Question