2010 Forester braking issue

Reaction score
My daughters 2010 Forester will apply the brakes while driving without depressing the brake pedal. By the time you get pulled over the brakes are so hot they are smoking. You then have to wait 15 -20 minutes for them to release. This is an intermittent problem. All or the calipers, pads a rotors have been replaced as well as the master cylinder. I have even replaced the ABS module. I have been told that the ABS can not apply pressure to the break system. Some thing is applying pressure to all four calipers to the point that the car will not move after stopping. This is a scary and dangerous. Has any one else experienced any thing like this? I have called the local dealer and talked with a service tech that had no ideas.

Have you replaced the rubber brake hoses? if one of them is collapsing it will lock up that wheel. Not sure if all four wheels are locking up. Just an idea.

Have you replaced the rubber brake hoses? if one of them is collapsing it will lock up that wheel. Not sure if all four wheels are locking up. Just an idea.
I have not. With all four calipers locking up without using the brake pedal it kind of ruled the hoses out

I have never heard of this issue but I am following closely now as I own a 2010 Forester as well. I hope the forum can help with a solution to this issue for your daughter's car. Good Luck

When all of the replacement parts were done did you bleed the brakes a lot to make sure all air was out of the system? Just a thought?

I have never heard of this issue but I am following closely now as I own a 2010 Forester as well. I hope the forum can help with a solution to this issue for your daughter's car. Good Luck

When all of the replacement parts were done did you bleed the brakes a lot to make sure all air was out of the system? Just a thought?
I end up getting a master cylinder (OEM) from a auto junkyard. It has seemed to fix the problem. The
remanufactured that I replaced the original with was causing the problem. I still can figure out how the pressure was created to engage the calipers without pressing the break petal

just some more info on aftermarket replacement parts. I had a 15 Forester Touring model. wheel bearing went out put a new one on from a local parts house. Started the car every light possible came on. Went bought a oem from the dealer no lights been driving ever since. Not sure why they sell some things as direct replacement when not. The only I can figure is the Touring Model had something special it was trying to read and the part was for a base model. Anyhow glad you solved your problem.

Ask a Question