2009 Outback defrost/defogger button no longer defaults to air conditioning

Reaction score
I have a 2009 limited Outback with auto air controls. In the past, when I pressed the front defrost button, it would default to air conditioner (unless outside temps were close to freezing) which clears the front window very well. The air conditioner no longer engages when I press this button even if I press the a/c button. It just blows warm air which does not clear the window very well-/poor visibility and very uncomfortable in warm weather. The air conditioning works in all other modes, even the one that blows air to both feet and windshield. Unfortunately the fan only blows light stream if air in this mode which does not work well enough to clear the windshield during rainstorm on warm days.
I called several local (Boston) Subaru mechanics who referred me to the local dealer. I brought the car in several times and they ran several tests and found nothing wrong. Last time I was in, they told me that the car was not made to engage a/c to the front windshield when front defrost button is pressed. I dealt with the service manager who backed up his mechanic’s assessment. I am not sure how to proceed on this and wanted confirmation from other drivers of the same year and model or Subaru experts that the air conditioning does engage in this mode, it did in my car for several years and the manual states that it should.
I searched online for a fix and only found posts from people trying to disconnect the default to a/c in this mode. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question