2008 Impreza Radio/CD causing battery to drain?

Reaction score
Hi folks, first post here.
Long winded question.
2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i...
It has the 6 CD Clarion audio system.
A couple of months ago, the 5th CD position stopped working...I had assumed there was a stuck one in there. Would not load a new one, would not eject. Just made lots of noise in the process of trying to get something to load/eject. And when car started without CD player on.
A few weeks after I noticed this, I had stopped at a friend's house, turned car off for maybe half an hour. CD Player had been on. When I went to start car, it was totally dead. No click, no dash lights, nothing. I waited a few minutes, tried to turn off CD player (which I don't think I can do when car is off, but whatever) turned dome light to "off." Car started up..a bit of a struggle, but it was fine. When it started, I could hear the CD player struggling to do something with that 5th CD..(turning around, shuffling, whatever). And clock and radio stations had been reset.
I advised any family members to be sure to turn off CD player before turning off car. Had battery checked, it was fine.
This non start issue hasn't happened again until yesterday. Actually in exact same location, at friend's house! This time, car would not start, even after a few minutes. CD player had been on when I stopped car (so much for my own instructions).
I opened up hood, asked my friend to give me a jump. I kind of tapped on the battery.
Before she got to my car, I was able to start it. Again, it took a few seconds to turn over, but it did. Got home, turned off car...tried to turn it off...dead again. Got it to start later.

Sooo.....I pulled out the CD/Audio system, determined to get out what I thought was the stuck CD. All very painstaking, and I was not able to get the one side bracket off without stripping the screws, so I gave up..I did not see a CD in there. I'm thinking there was just something wrong with the CD shelf advancing mechanism. No big deal. I can do without the CD player for now. I disattached the ribbon which attaches the CD player to the bottom. Put it back, radio is fine.

So my question is....is it possible that this CD player doing its shuffle thing was causing a disruption in the battery? Pulling that much power from the battery to cause it to not start? OR am I barking up the wrong tree? (I guess I might get my answer at some point if the car does not start again...). Anybody else have this experience?
Thanks.

Ask a Question