2007 LLBean 3.6 Outback

Reaction score
Purchased 2 yrs ago with 99,000 miles on it. Now has 102,000. I only drive it on weekends (not every weekend) and it is kept during the week in an open lot. Battery dies alot either due to temperature extremes or no use for up to 2 months at a time. How do I know when I have to replace battery?
It didn't start last weekend (not due to battery) and had to be towed to a mechanic who told me it was a minor issue with a wire that has now been repaired and he's charging me $672 for towing (2 miles away) and labor. I think he jacked up the cost because he was pushing me to buy a battery from him and I wanted to shop around a bit because he would have charged me over $200 for battery and installation (a friend told me there was better brand of battery for $120 that had a 5-year warranty that the mechanic didn't carry). He was rude and abusive and I feel traumatized from this and need some advice.
Thank you.

Ask a Question