2006 Legacy blows white smoke

Tom

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
My 2006 Legacy GT with the EJ255 turbo engine is blowing white smoke, however not initially when starting only under load and more so after it warms up. I am trying to confirm that this is because of the head gasket. There is no coolant in the oil, it looks fine. I first suspected the turbo, since when I disconnected the exhaust pipe from the turbo, coolant came out. So I replaced the turbo, however unfortunately that did not fix the problem. Note the engine runs fine otherwise, no excessive noise from the valvetrain or bottom (Middle) end. So before I go and tackle the head gasket I would like to make sure it can't be anything else. I took out the spark plugs figuring I should see evidence of coolant mixture on them. However they appear to look fine to me. See picture. Any bright ideas or should I bite the bullet and do the head gasket.
Also any advice on doing the head gasket with the engine still in the car, or direct me to a thread that discusses this for a DOHC.

Any help / advice is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1294.JPG
    IMG_1294.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 94
Whats the mileage on the car? If its over a 100,000 miles thats usually when the head gaskets start to go. Drivers side is usually the 1 and it can leak out to your exhaust.
I dont think these boxer engines overheat no matter how the head Gaskets go lol

Ask a Question