2005 Forester no start

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first Forester after owning several Legacys and Outbacks. 2.5 L non-turbo. 148,000 Timing belt was replaced by the dealer I bought the car from at 134,000.

This morning it wouldn't start. Sounds like it wants to start but just stammers and sputters so I believe that it's getting spark and fuel. The codes I'm getting are P0341 Camshaft position sensor (twice) and P2138 Throttle position sensor. I haven't started to tear the engine down yet. I'm thinking that the timing belt might have jumped a tooth or two. Do you agree that that is a good place to start? Any better places to start?

Is this an interference engine like I am being told?

Well, I went ahead and tore down the front of the engine to find that the bolt that holds the tensioner to the block had come loose, causing the engine to jump out of time. The tensioner looks new so I suspect that it was installed with a new bolt when timing belt was replaced 14,000 miles ago.

I'm off to the parts store for a new belt. Keep your fingers crossed for me that the valves didn't get damaged.

Ask a Question