2004 Baja and 2001 Forester Transmission and Rear Differential Compatibility

tws

Reaction score
Can someone please help?! I recently acquired a 2004 Subaru Baja. The previous owner busted the rear differential on a rock and replaced it with a used unit with the incorrect gear ratio which took out the transmission. I have a 2001 parts Subaru Forester with a good transmission and rear that I would like to use. The automatic transmission in the Baja is TZ1A4ZCFAC-M5. The automatic transmission in the Forester is TZ1A32C2AA. Can anyone tell me if the Forester transmission will work in the Baja?

I have read that the Baja transmission may have an inverted transfer clutch solenoid and valve due to it being a 2004. I have also read that this can be swapped into the Forester transmission. When researching if this would work, I watched one video where this was done by removing the back end of the transmission and a second video where this was done by removing the valve body. Are these two different processes? I am confused. I can do this work myself but any advice would be appreciated.

Ask a Question