2003 Subaru Forester XS engine swap

Reaction score
Hey guys, glad to be here. First time Subaru Owner, I've done a minimal amount of work on cars but I'm by no means a mechanic. Most I've done is replaced Cylinder heads on a 2003 Dodge Dakota.

So I got a 2003 Subaru Forester XS with 150k Miles on it. It performs fine. I did all the basics, flushed the radiator, changed the air filter, oil/filter, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the ignition coil and upgraded the sparkplugs and wires.

I got it for dirt cheap; the guy was selling it for his uncle with dementia and just wanted to get rid of it. Anyways, I've decided this is going to be a project car. Money (to a reasonable extent of not paying what I would for a brand new car) is not a worry for me. I'm willing to put like 10 grand into the mechanics, let alone its interior upgrades.

So. What can I do to make this thing perform? I'm going to get coil overs, new tires and rims. Can I do an engine swap on this thing? Perhaps swap it for a EJ207? I'm willing to put in the time and money, and jump the hurdles. Just wondering if someone has done this before. I can't seem to find much info on doing it because it's apparently the worst year for foresters ever.

If you have some real advice or experience I'd appreciate it. Please don't give me some defeatist bullshit about just getting a different car because "its not worth it".

Ask a Question