2003 Impreza Outback low beam headlight / brake light issue

Reaction score
My son has a 2003 Impreza Outback and he tells me there is an intermittent issue with his low beam headlights.

I have not seen it myself, but he says that on occasion his low beam headlights will go out while driving and the interior dash brake light will come on - the one you get when the emergency brake is used. When it happens, the high beam headlights will continue to work so he is able to safely continue driving. After a while, the brake light will go out and the low beams will again work.

Before taking any kind of "shotgun approach" to finding the issue, I wanted to ask the community if this sounds at all familiar.

Look at and ask the driver if any aftermarket lighting or equipment has been installed.
Check the headlamp harness for Hi and Lo beam connection on both sides. Look for any indication of burning.
Inspect and test the battery ground connections / straps. There are more than one.
1) Major connection to the engine block
2) Major connection to the body (at times more than one).
There may also be fault codes recorded in one or more controllers - save the faults.
Test for any shorted wires for the parking brake switch.

Attachments

• Subaru Impreza Outback Lighting.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question