2003 Baja 2.5 vin 6 engine replacement with Manual Transmission

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Baja with the 2.5L vin 6 engine with manual transmission. It had about $3000 spent on it for cylinder head gaskets and timing belt replacement less than a year ago at a local Subaru dealer. This week the right cylinder head locked the camshaft and trashed the head.....(I wonder if the oil pump failed and damaged the crank.) I know that it bent the valves in both heads so piston damage is possible. I am trying to find a replacement engine... Can anyone tell me what cars Subaru (years and models) can be used to replace my engine. I called a couple of yards and they disagree on which ones will cross. The only thing they agree on is the fact they have to be from a car with manual transmission. From what I see they are not many around my parts with manual....The block is an EJ25. Thanks for all the help..

PS I have found a 2001 Outback with a manual transmission about 5 hrs. from me and it is a vin 6. IS this a possibility? Is Outback and Legacy or Legacy Outback the same ?

Your local dealership Service Area Manager or senior tech should be the best resource for what works together ...

Otherwise, I worked at AutoZone for years and the folks there are pretty helpful but best to get a parts manager for heavy lifting like that ... ;-) find a unique feature about your motor to help you & them in identifying what will crossover but I would start at dealer first honestly .. Good luck ... :)

I just had my 05 baja engine have a rod or bearing go. the noise was loud but still drivable. I decided on a replacement engine from enginesus.com. They make a 2.0 liter that fits with a few modifications. Cost was $1100 with shipping and mechanic friend installed for $600.

Runs great now.

Ask a Question