2001 OB/Bean Transmission Issues? Diagnosis?

Reaction score
At ~151K, I replaced Trans. Duty C Solenoid, seals, clutch plates, several drain/refills on the transmission fluid and the front and rear axle differentials. Generally speaking, the OB transmission has performed well since.

Recently had a transmission hose clamp fail and transmission fluid leaked out. Unfortunately, my daughter drove the Suby for several days with low transmission fluid. At some point, a major (almost scary) shimmy/shake started in the steering wheel.

I have since fixed the leak, but now the major (almost scary) shimmy/shake in the steering wheel remains. Given that it was driven with low transmission fluid for an unknown time, I assume it is coming from transmission? Does this sound reasonable?

I have inspected brakes, wheel bearings, tie rods, and drive shafts. All look good.

Other symptoms:
  • Major steering shimmy/ shake only occurs after the engine/trans gets warm/hot. Not noticeable at all when initialing driving from cold start
  • There seems to be a light “rattle” coming from transmission pan when cold. Rattle subsides after transmission is warm
  • After the engine/trans are warm and the steering shimmy/shake starts, there is sometimes a loud slamming noise coming from front right center when I let my foot off the accelerator?
Any ideas on what is causing this? Is it fixable? Does it look like I am looking a replacing transmission?

If transmission replacement is required, is it worth it? The car generally runs great. How much should a transmission replacement cost?

Any suggestions on where to get a remanufactured/rebuilt transmission in my area (Georgia)?

Any tips, suggestions, or feedback is very much appreciated.

Ask a Question