2001 Impreza, won't start during hot days (?)

Reaction score
I'm not very car knowledgeable but I'll try to include all relevant information possible.

OVERVIEW:
The car is an 2001 Impreza Outback Sport 2.2L Automatic. 205k miles. Vanilla stock -- I've done pretty much nothing to the car. One thing to note, I daily drive this car very conservatively within speed limit, no redlining or overstressing the motor at all. But I mean most of you know this car isn't fast at all so it's kind of pointless to do so.

Got the car in 2013 at around 135k miles, so I've daily driven it for years in a desert climate Southwest USA where it does get very hot during the summer time year after year. It has been reasonably reliable to me for 7+ years.

I first experienced the starting issue about 3 years ago but never bothered to look into. At the time the problem was not severe and not consistent enough recreate the problem. It also did not always bring up the CEL, and if it did bring up the CEL light will go away within the day. So I didn't always have the opportunity to pull the code.

Regular oil changes. Spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coil replaced recently.

ISSUE SPECIFIC PARTS REPLACED:
Over time the non start issue gradually became more common. I was able to pull the code a few times and replace a couple recommended parts. Sorry I forget the exact code numerical.

1. TPS Sensor
*Did not resolve issue.

2. Knock Sensor
*Did not resolve issue.

PROBLEM RECREATION:
To be clear, the car does start and I can get it to start every day.

To recreate the non start issue, the car must be sitting outdoors uncovered in hot weather (95℉-105℉ ++) for a few hours. This will surely guarantee the car will start not for hours until the outdoor temp cools down enough, until the car itself cools down enough. Meaning I can get it to start at night later that day when it's cool enough.

Now what is very interesting, is if I start the car in the morning, before the outside temp gets too hot, the car will usually start no problem, AND, the car will continue to start with no problems for the rest of the day, despite sitting in the heat and whatnot. This has been my workaround for this particular issue. I wake up early in the morning, start and warm up my car, then go back to sleep. A few hours later I'll fire up the car again just to double check. At this point, the car is good and will have no starting problems for the day.

If I don't start the car until later in the day, like at high noon 107℉ the car has like a 1% chance to start. Very unlikely it will.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
If I lightly flutter the throttle when struggling to start the car, it seems to help a little bit but I really can't say for certain. Also if I turn on my fans and A/C full blast while attempting to start the car, that seems to help too but I really can't say for certain.

Thanks everyone.

I posted this thread in the afternoon when the car would not start at all after trying 8-10 times through noon and afternoon. As soon as the sun started to set around 5:00 PM I went to go try again and lo and behold it fired right up!!! It did not even struggle when starting... :confused::confused::confused:

Guys guys... I need your help here with this absolutely ridiculous issue... Any insight is appreciated please...

Is there some type of sensor that determines what the outside temp is that might somehow affect the car's ability to start?

Some pictures of my vehicle in hopes to garner a bit more sympathy. :(

20210820_091230.jpg
20210820_091308.jpg

Ask a Question