2001/2005 Front axle/transmission questions -round 3

Reaction score
Well, after careful measuring of axle shaft lengths, I have realized I should have held out for a 2005 transmission. BUT, since I am already committed to the 2001 transmission, is it possible to separate the axle shafts at the inner CV joint, putting the 2001 inner joint on the 2005 axle shaft? Of course, this question is probably moot, since I am not having any luck getting input on my previous attempts last week.

I will answer my own question, for the info of others that may be wondering. No, it is not possible to combine 2001 and 2005 axle shaft components. The 2005 inner tri-pod is too big to fit in the 2001 inner female tri-pod "cup." The splined shafts of the 2001 and 2005 axles are different diameters and spline counts, which does not allow the 2001 tri-pod to be fit on to the 2005 axle.

I am finding that Subarus are not as interchangeable across just a four year difference as the old SAAB 99/900 models I used to play with. One more attempt to make this Franken-Subaru work, keeping my fingers crossed and will let you know if it is possible. My Subaru guru says the 2001 inner-axle stub should be able to be levered out of the transmission. My hopes and prayers are that 2005 axle shaft male splined shaft (that pops into the 2005 transmission) will be identical diameter/spline count measurements to the axle shaft male splined shaft (that pops out of the 2001 transmission). Wish me luck!

Ask a Question