2.5 SOHC short block compatibility

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the short block from an 03 Subaru Forester 2.5 SOHC with the dual cylinder exhaust ports uses the same short block as an 04 Subaru Outback 2.5 SOHC with the single cylinder exhaust port? I have the short block that came from the Outback and the cylinder heads that came off the Forester and was hoping I could combine the two to make a complete motor. If anyone could tell me whether they are compatible I would appreciate it.

Check the head gasket part number and bolt pattern. If they are the same they should work. Be sure the Y pipe goes with the exhaust ports on the heads you are using. Also check the cam gears and be sure they have the same timing mark locations. It would be a good idea to mock up the engine with the timing belt installed and clay on the pistons and rotate it a few times and make sure there is no valve to piston contact. It may take time but its worth not ruining your engine.

Ask a Question