1998 Legacy EJ22 coolant leak

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm looking for some advice on my brothers car which is a 1998 Subaru Legacy with the EJ22 engine. It started overheating when he was driving home from work but he made it home and I went to take a look at it with him. It is dripping coolant out from somewhere I cant see. Where ever it is, it is running down the front of the oil pan so the leak is somewhere above that. This is closer to the middle of the engine than where the headgaskets are towards the outside so is it a cracked block possibly? Is it possible for a leaking water pump to also get coolant into the oil?
Other clues are that the oil filler cap is clean(No frothy milky substance) Also, oil is not frothy or milky. HOWEVER, I thought this strange but if you wipe the oil on your finger you can see pretty clearly that it has a green tint to it so i believe that coolant is getting into the oil as well as leaking outside the vehicle.
He also told me that his defroster was putting a film of coolant on the windshield of his car and it smelled like coolant as well. In addition to this, on startup the car spew out white exhaust smoke which smelled of antifreeze. However, as the car ran and got warmer, this white smoke became much more noticeable. At the same time, the coolant dripping under the vehicle became much more rapid as the car warmed up.
I've also attached a picture of the coolant drip.
IMG_1039.jpg
Any help is appreciated and I'll answer any more questions as needed! Thank you much.

Last edited:

Ask a Question