1998 Forester-What is this part called and do?

Discussion in 'Subaru Forester' started by AJay, Jul 14, 2006.

  1. AJay

    AJay Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm trying to find out what this component of the air intake is called
    and what does it do? See picture site below. 1998 Forester 2.5L.

    Here is the URL of the picture:

    Thanks ,
    AJay, Jul 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. that's a resonator or something I think - noise cancelation I guess.

    Carl 1 Lucky Texan, Jul 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Oh, my. I think Sigmund Freud could answer that question best.

    Michael Pardee, Jul 14, 2006
  4. AJay

    Wvd Guest

    wrong mounted? this component on my Forester 99 points the other side and

    Wvd, Jul 14, 2006
  5. AJay

    AJay Guest

    Thanks for the response Wilco. That tube is pictured in the 1998
    Legacy manual in the same position as mine. Also the bottom side of
    the tube is formed so as to accomodate the spark plug wires to pass
    below it. It might be the case that it really doesn't matter what
    position it is in.

    I wonder if Subaru knows what it is for! :)

    AJay, Jul 14, 2006
  6. AJay

    John Varela Guest

    I believe you're close to the answer. My guess would be that it has to do
    with tuning the intake so that when pressure waves bounce back and forth they
    arrive at the intake valve just as it opens. Or maybe not.
    John Varela, Jul 14, 2006
  7. AJay

    Joe Kultgen Guest

    It is a resonator chamber. AFAIK, it is to help damp out pulsations in the
    intake air flow and make the readings from the MAF sensor more accurate.

    Joe Kultgen, Jul 15, 2006
  8. AJay

    AJay Guest

    Thanks Joe. I appreciate the information.
    Have a good day.

    AJay, Jul 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.