1998 Forester burning smell

Reaction score
Hi! I just bought my subaru and I love it... But I really want to learn more! I spent $1000 on a 98 Subaru Forester with 197xxx on it. The timing belt, oil and water pump were changed about 8k miles ago... When I drive there is a burning smell. The car still has snow tires on it, but the previous owner also told me that the car has a slight steering fluid leak. The car drives very well, and I've opened the hood and the engine sounds great... Any info appreciated.

My 2010 had a similar issue .
I took it to 2 mechanics and they said same thing. Main seal had a leak .maybe my terminology isn’t accurate , but basically they would need to pull the engine. Here’s the kicker, it was basically seeping out, no oil in the concrete. It was oozing on the exhaust .

You may not believe this, but I went to Home Depot and got some thin metal flashing and shaped a piece so that it shielded the exhaust from the oil and kinda directed the oil drip in alternate path. . I just found a random bolt on the car and attached it :)

Good luck!

Ask a Question