1997 Legacy L Engine interchange

Reaction score
New here, looking for an answer to this question online but I’m getting more and more confused the more I look.

I’ve never owned a Subaru, but I’ve owned plenty of other vehicles, mostly pickups. I have a shop on the farm and work on all the neighbors equipment from side by sides to pickups to tractors to semis to construction equipment. Mechanical ability is easy for me to understand, but just can’t wrap my head around this one I guess.

Anyways, I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 Legacy for cheap. Car is clean as far as rust but the engine is blown up. Obvious bottom end issue, was told it’s an EJ22 engine. I need to know what are the engines and years those engines are from that I can swap one into. Phase 1 or phase 2? Head of a EJ25 swap using the EJ22 heads, but what years? Possibility of rebuilding the current engine, guessing it would need new crank if it spun a bearing. Just looking for the best and easiest options at this point.

Interested in the car as a ranch rig basically, great In the winter for getting around, maybe put a lift on it too. I like it for the idea of calving season I can throw a calf in the back and let it warm up if needed since one of the places I calve cows on I don’t have a shed or electricity. Also looking for something with better fuel mileage than my current daily 2003 1/2 ton dodge pickup.

Thanks I’m advance and go easy on me for my lack of knowledge or understanding of these issues. I’ve just never been into a Subaru before and it’s a whole different animal to me.
-Christian

Ask a Question