1996 Impreza shakes in the fron end when doing low-speed maneuvers

O

oothlagre

This happens in 1st gear when turning into or coming out of a parking space. The wheel is not turned really sharp, just enough to turn into a space from a perpendicular position.

There is a shaking in the front end when making these turns and it only seems to happen at very low speed with maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the steering wheel. There is no noise that I can hear, but I can feel it in the clutch pedal and the front wheels.

Any ideas? Could it be a knuckle or something in an axle shaft? The car just turned over 100,000 miles. I have owned it about 2 months.

TIA

See Below from http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm#3.5
John

3.5 Clutch judder
3.5.1 ... when cold
This is caused by the material used to with stand the abuse given to it by owners.....usually ok when warmed up. Can also be caused by problems (wear/dirt ?) with the special platinum spark plugs used in the Impreza. Replacing these at the 15,000/30,000 mile service can cure the problem (although sometimes only for a month or so!).

Another suggestion has been to treat your Impreza to several full bore standing starts (when warm of course), which apparently helps clean up the surfaces of clutch components.

For 1998 models, and some 1999 models, there have actually been many cases of faults with the standard clutch system. The symptoms are progressively worsening juddering when cold, leading to severe clutch judder at all times. Subaru dealers (certainly in the UK), have been replacing these faulty clutches free of charge under warranty, including a new flywheel, as long as the mileage isn't well above average, and the problem is severe enough. Some owners report a slight juddering at times, but this is not enough to warrant a new clutch.

3.5.2 ... when hot
Can be cured by uprating the clutch fluid to a DOT 5 fluid. Caused by fluid getting too hot from the engine bay heat. See also above for clutch problems with 98/99 cars

This happens in 1st gear when turning into or coming out of a parking space. The wheel is not turned really sharp, just enough to turn into a space from a perpendicular position.

There is a shaking in the front end when making these turns and it only seems to happen at very low speed with maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the steering wheel. There is no noise that I can hear, but I can feel it in the clutch pedal and the front wheels.

Any ideas? Could it be a knuckle or something in an axle shaft? The car just turned over 100,000 miles. I have owned it about 2 months.

TIA

Thanks for the information. It seems to be more pronounced with the A/C on.

Henry

See Below from http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm#3.5
John

3.5 Clutch judder
3.5.1 ... when cold
This is caused by the material used to with stand the abuse given to it by owners.....usually ok when warmed up. Can also be caused by problems (wear/dirt ?) with the special platinum spark plugs used in the Impreza. Replacing these at the 15,000/30,000 mile service can cure the problem (although sometimes only for a month or so!).

Another suggestion has been to treat your Impreza to several full bore standing starts (when warm of course), which apparently helps clean up the surfaces of clutch components.

For 1998 models, and some 1999 models, there have actually been many cases of faults with the standard clutch system. The symptoms are progressively worsening juddering when cold, leading to severe clutch judder at all times. Subaru dealers (certainly in the UK), have been replacing these faulty clutches free of charge under warranty, including a new flywheel, as long as the mileage isn't well above average, and the problem is severe enough. Some owners report a slight juddering at times, but this is not enough to warrant a new clutch.

3.5.2 ... when hot
Can be cured by uprating the clutch fluid to a DOT 5 fluid. Caused by fluid getting too hot from the engine bay heat. See also above for clutch problems with 98/99 cars

TIA

Ask a Question