09 Impreza Outback Sport high idle, CA emissions, gas pedal doesn't work sometimes

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently bought a 2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport and had the cel show up on the way home. It diagnosed as P0507 - "Idle air control system revolutions per minute higher than expected". I wasn't too concerned since I was told it's just an emissions thing, but it meant I couldn't use cruise control (thanks, Subaru!). I had the code cleared and it was good the rest of the 4ish hour drive home, and for a few days after.

When the light turned back on, I had it diagnosed again and found the recommended repair was to replace the PCV valve -- a simple $20, 20 minute fix. Turns out my new car has California emissions, and the PCV valve isn't there. I took it all over town and nobody could tell me what to do to take care of the cel. I tried the other recommended fix of cleaning the throttle body then clearing the code, with no change.

One morning I was running late and pulled out of the driveway and found that my gas pedal wasn't working. Everything seemed fine, just I was stuck going at idle speed, which seemed a bit high (about 20 mph). I borrowed a car for the few hours I needed before I could take a look at my own car. Once I started it up again there didn't seem to be anything wrong. The gas pedal worked again, even though the cel was still on. I thought I'd imagined it with my tired mind, until a couple days ago.

I jumped a friend's car and followed them to get their battery tested. Once we got to Autozone, I turned off the engine for only a couple minutes, and when I started it again the gas pedal didn't work again. I was stuck going 20 mph, and this time when parked the rpms were very quickly alternating between 2500 and 3000. I borrowed a car for the day, then yesterday swapped a headlight that needed the battery to be removed, which reset the computer and cleared the cel. Prior to swapping the headlight I had tried driving it a couple times and the problem didn't disappear this time.

Now everything seems to be running fine again, and rpms are back around 1500-2000 (which seems high to me but it's been there since I bought the car). This leads me to believe it's not a mechanical issue, or at least it's some problem that somehow only shows up after some strange driving condition is met.

If anyone has ANY ideas for what's going on please let me know, because I'm completely lost.

Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question