06 Impreza WRX Engine Rebuild - Have Some Concerns

Reaction score
Okay, first time owner of an '06 WRX Impreza Sports Wagon, here. I have SEVERAL questions. Any advice given is appreciated!

So, I recently had to have a rebuild on EJ25 engine, after it was completely destroyed, basically, by a mechanic I thought I could trust. He made it totally undrivable after I took the Subie to him, for a cylinder 3 misfire. I suspected a blown or leaking head gasket. I took it to him in April of this year, had to basically pry it from him to get it back MONTHS later, to find out it had extensive damage.

Welp, fastforward to NOW. I ended up taking my car to ANOTHER shop, to have an entire engine rebuild. I just got it back a few days ago. I was super ecstatic. I still am. Thankfully I have a warranty to get things wrong with it fixed for free with this shop I just went to.

Here's the issues I needed opinions on:

When I first got it back a few days ago, the first thing I noticed was the smell of burning oil in the cabin. Then I noticed slight smoke coming from under the hood. I also noticed that when I shift to reverse, SOMETIMES, but not every time, it'll stall out and die.

Yesterday around lunch time, I realize I've completely lost boost in my engine. It happened very suddenly. This morning, I went to start it up and I've noticed a slight ticking noise. I'm becoming quite concerned.

I called the shop about the ticking this morning (I'm going back up there tomorrow to have it seen, but my curiosity is killing me on what it could be) but anyway, the shop said to turn the car off and not drive it for an hour. Then turn it back on and if the ticking still remains, there's a problem.

So after listing all the things I've noticed, what do y'all think could be going on?? I appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question