05 Legacy GT brakes squealing after warming up

Reaction score
I recently purchased a legacy gt wagon the other day and have noticed a squealing coming from the rear driver side once the brakes warm up a bit. (Usually after driving for around 5ish minutes) The noise is kind of in and out as it only does it occasionally at varying levels of volume. The noise also completely stops when I get on the brakes. The guy I bought it from said it recently had new pads and rotors put in and from what I can tell they look like they were replaced. The caliper however was not replaced and is in pretty rough shape with a lot of visible rust. The car coming from PA means there is a small amount of rust in a few of the other brake/suspension components. I’m assuming that the brakes are causing the sound and that the rusty caliper could be the issue but I’ve also heard that the dust cover thing can be rubbing up against the rotor. I’ve checked and the cover doesn’t directly touch the rotor while stationary. Just looking to get some help before I spend money on things I don’t need. Thanks.

08 Legacy GT here. Had the same issue. Kept finding the pads glazed over. Took off and lightly sanded them down and the problem would go away for a few days then back again. Wound up finding one of the front caliper slide pins seized up. Refurbished those and so far no issues.

FWIW I’ve owned 5-6 Subarus of all models. Always been relatively easy to take care of and repair if there are issues. EXCEPT the brakes. In no Subaru that I’ve ever had have I been able to put anything other than Subaru pads on and not have a constant squealing and other headaches. I’ve gone as far as buying the most expensive top of the line pads from all the local chains with no difference. Dunno, maybe it’s just me but these cars are too reliable for me to worry about $150 for front brake pads. I’ll eat it and move on. Although I’d welcome some suggestions on my issue with aftermarket pads. Even changed the rotors a few times too.

Ask a Question