04 forester TPS issues

Reaction score
hey everyone,

so I just recently purchased this car from a private party and while I knew I wasn't getting anything special it is having far more issues than were apparent during the test drive.

A few days ago it died while idled at a stop sign and since then has had issues starting, and the AT oil temp light flashes. a buddy loaned me a code reader and it showed that the idle air control valve was having issues so I replaced that last night and it started up just fine, but the AT oil temp light was still present. I moved it down the block, and let it sit over night.

today, I went to take a look at it again and it would hardly start. now I'm getting P0122, P0123 stored codes and I had one for P1700 that was stored but it disappeared.

does anyone have any insight? I found a replacement TPS that is affordable, should I just go ahead and swap it out? anything I need to be aware of when doing the replacement, or is it just as easy as unplugging the old one and sticking the new one back in? It's easily accessible so that's not an issue.

thanks in advance.

Ask a Question