03 starts fine then stalls

Reaction score
Hey there. Just got an 03 Outback a few months ago and it has mostly been driving great. Yesterday, I stopped to do an errand and when I got back in and went to go, it started up fine and then the RPMs went to zero and it stalled. I was able to try again and rev the engine until it held at idle, and then it drove totally fine after that, smooth regular idle at stops. It seems like it is getting a bit worse. I'm hoping it is something minor and kind of think its a problem with air or fuel flow. I've only looked around online a little and haven't really had much of a chance to look under the hood yet. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. Clogged fuel filter? Dirty MAF? Spark plug or ICM problem? Or even a relay or fuse? Any leads would be great, just got it and I want to keep it in good running, reliable shape. Thanks!

It was kinda strange because it hasnt been throwing any codes at all for days, but today the check engine light went on and I checked it. Kinda what I was thinking after narrowing it down, it had two codes for the idle air control valve. Got one coming in the mail but I'm gonna borrow one from my buddys broke down outback in the meantime and see if it works.

Ask a Question